World In Paris
Most Popular Posts Paris Hidden Gems Paris Like a Local

La Coulée Verte (Promenade Plantée) – A Scenic Nature Walk in Paris

09/09/19

About La Coulée Verte of Paris

Promenade Plantée | Coulée Verte in Paris | Paris Like a Local | Paris Travel Inspiration | Paris Bucket List | Paris walks | Parks in Paris | Paris Outdoors
Coulée Verte in Paris | Promenade Plantée | Paris Like a Local | Paris Travel Inspiration | Paris Bucket List | Paris walks | Parks in Paris | Paris Outdoors

Few Parisians know about La Coulée Verte (also known as La Promenade Plantée), located in the 12th Arrondissement of Paris. It is a pity because this free, 5 km stroll from Bastille Square to Bois de Vincennes is one of the most scenic walks in Paris, perfect for escaping the hassle of Paris without leaving the city.

La Coulée Verte follows part of the ancient railway (La Petite Ceinture) which stopped working in 1969. While the Bastille station was replaced by today’s Opera house, the viaduct was converted into glass-fronted workshops and boutiques for local artisans (the Viaduct des Arts), and the old rail tracks became La Coulée Verte.

La Coulée Verte Paris is a nature walk and car-free which crosses tunnels, trenches and parks. At times 10 meters above street level, La Coulée Verte was the world’s first elevated park walkway.

Promenade Plantée - starting point

We like to walk La Promenade Plantée in summer, to escape the high temperatures, or in the fall for its colors. The pictures on this post were taken in July and October so you can see La Coulée Verte of Paris through the seasons.

About this post

We have split this stroll into short sections, walking from east to west. For each section, you will find the walking distance, the closest metro station and the closest Vélib station in case you are moving around Paris by bike. Our stroll starts at Rue de Sahel but you can access La Promenade Plantée where you want thanks to stairs and lifts all along the way.

Ways to get the most out of La Coulée Verte

Section 1: Rue Sahel– Tunnel de Reuilly

Walking Distance: 800m

Metro Station: Bel Air, Line 6; Vélib Station#12022

Coulée Verte - Tunnel de Reuilly

We access La Coulée Verte through Rue de Sahel /Avenue du General Michel Bizot. After walking some meters we reach the section built in a trench, leaving the hassle of the city above us.

This is a beautiful section, my favorite part, very green and with lush vegetation. This part is also accessible to bikers, rollerbladers, and skateboarders. The path crosses two short tunnels beautifully illuminated. This part ends with a third long tunnel, Le Tunnel de Reuilly. At the end of this tunnel, the section heads to street level.

FREE Download

Click here to Download this Self-Guided Tour for FREE now!

X

Section 2: Allée Vivaldi – Jardin de Reuilly

Walking Distance: 350m

Metro Station: Dugommier, Line 6; Vélib Station#12036

Allée Vivaldi is a kind of pedestrian avenue with trees all along its way. We like to walk it when it’s fall in Paris because of the trees’ colors.

Along this avenue, we can still see the ancient Reuilly train station, which was served by la Petite Ceinture. You can see in the picture below how it looked like when La Petite Ceinture was still working. Today the train station is used for social events. At the end of this alley, we need to climb some stairs to reach the bridge which crosses Reuilly Garden.

Promenade Plantée - Allée Vivaldi

Coulée Verte - Gare de Reuilly

Allée Vivaldi – Reuilly Train Station

READ MORE –  Walking on the rails: la Petite Ceinture Paris (the full guide!)

Section 3: Jardin de Reuilly

Walking Distance: 210 m

Metro Station: Montgallet, Line 6; Vélib Station #12028

This is another cool part of la Coulée Verte because here we are walking 10 m above Jardin de Reuilly, through an elevated walkway.

Maybe this part of the path reminds you of New York’s high-line? Well, you are right! The Promenade Plantée, inaugurated in 1993,  was its source of inspiration.

In the summertime, Jardin de Reuilly is packed with people enjoying a picnic or sunbathing while in the fall this garden is usually enjoyed by some lonely walkers.

Coulée Verte - Jardin de Reuilly

Promenade Plantée - Jardin de Reuilly

Section 4: Jardin de Reuilly  – Rue de Lyon /Av. Daumesnil

Walking Distance: 1,4 Km

Metro Station: Montgallet, Line 6; Vélib Station #12027

This is the last part of this beautiful nature walk in Paris. At one point a modern building splits in two with the walkway in between, which is very cool! We are always walking 10m above the street level and it is interesting to see the surrounding architecture from another point of view.

Coulée Verte - Architecture

Promenade Plantée - Architecture

I like to describe this part as a “hanging garden”, with some water bodies, different kind of flowers and plants and some shady spots to take a break.

There are never many people around so even if it is a narrow stretch, it is nice to stop and seat on the shade for a break.

Walking the promenade

Viaduc des Arts

This beautiful stroll finishes at Viaduc des Arts. This is the ancient Viaduct de Bastille, built to support the railway line Paris – Bastille – Vincennes.

At the beginning of the ’80s, the City Council decided to keep and restore this place and dedicate it to arts & crafts. And that’s what you see today:  ateliers, workshops, cute cafes, and galleries have taken up residence in the vaulted arches below the garden.

Once you are done with this part, it’s time to go to Bastille Square and the surrounding streets for a more than deserved drink.

Coulée Verte - Viaduc des Arts

Did you like this scenic nature walk in Paris? Are there similar walks in your city?

Click here to read more Paris Like a Local posts

Click here to explore other Paris Hidden Gems

Back to Homepage

Some interesting articles in the blog

Pin it now & read it later

La Coulée Verte Paris, also known as La Promenade Plantée Paris, is a beautiful nature walk in Paris. Escape the crowds and enjoy some green without leaving the city!

Disclaimer: This post includes affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission if you make a purchase through our links. It costs you nothing more (in fact, if anything, you’ll get a nice discount) but helps us to go on creating incredible Paris content for you. We trust all products promoted here and would never recommend a product that isn’t of value.
World in Paris is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

X

You Might Also Like...

• Ferna
    11/18/2016 at 1:19 am

Never heard of this from other bloggers (maybe there are some write up) and friends. I like places unknown to many. I haven’t been to Paris yet, but will certainly take note of these places. I wonder how wonderful will it be during autumn, your photos are stunning.

• WorldInParis
      11/22/2016 at 5:12 pm

Thanks Ferna 🙂 Hope you will make it to Paris soon

• Thelittlelai: Beyond limits
    11/17/2016 at 11:19 pm

By the name itself Promenade Plantee sounds really refreshing. Who would not love to traipse their feet on this fresh and lively color green path, right? I would certainly visit this place when I get the chance to visit Paris. I actually just found out about this place, it is really interesting.

LaiAriel

• WorldInParis
      11/22/2016 at 5:13 pm

Yes, it is a refreshing walk, especially in summer time 🙂

• Vyjay
    11/17/2016 at 6:50 am

Wow! The Promenade Plantee is lovely. Would love to stroll around there. It is a pity we missed it while in Paris. Will head there next time for sure.

• WorldInParis
      11/17/2016 at 10:19 am

Thanks Vyjay for your kind comment. Good to read there will be a next time in Paris for you!

• trisha velarmino
    11/16/2016 at 5:17 pm

How I really pity Parisians if they will not take advantage of this beautiful promenade. Not all mega cities in this world have something like this.

I hope that people will see the importance of green spaces. Architects, Engineers and Urban planners believes that with more green spaces, people are more motivated to exercise which is great in fighting some diseases.

• WorldInParis
      11/22/2016 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback, Trisha! 🙂

• Mary - A Mary Road
    11/16/2016 at 12:01 pm

Such a great compilation! I’ve been to some of these places, but I hope I get to see Jardin de Reuilly 😀

• Gel
    11/16/2016 at 11:32 am

This green walk looks like a place perfect for introverts like me! haha. Seeing the places makes me imagine I’m walking there, or just hanging out with a good book. Thankyou for this post! 🙂

• Indrani
    11/15/2016 at 3:48 am

I should have explored more.
    Such lovely scenes from the walk, very soothing and refreshing.

• Nathan
    11/14/2016 at 4:35 pm

I love finding areas of cities that aren’t all hustle and bustle. Love the pictures on this blog!

• Louiela
    11/14/2016 at 3:58 pm

I love how green it is during summer as shown in your photos, I can’t imagine how beautiful it is during autumn… Such a peaceful place, hope I can walk around Promenade Plantee also.

• Erica M Poyaua
    11/14/2016 at 3:43 pm

How can Parisians overlook this place! Good thing you shared it here. I wouldn’t be clueless if I happen to find myself in a Paris tour some time in the future… Promenade Plantee! It’s now officially in my must-visit list!

• Castaway with Crystal
    11/14/2016 at 1:31 pm

Absolutely amazing pictures! I love the gardens! So cool!!!

Crystal recently posted… Budget guide for New Zealand; North Island

• melody pittman
    11/14/2016 at 1:15 pm

This looks like a fabulous place for strolling around and enjoying nature. Promenade Plantée…such a sophisticated name, too. I love finding parks like this.

• Cai dominguez
    11/14/2016 at 10:49 am

I was surprised when you said that only few Parisians know about this part of Paris. How could be? This is a beautiful place to walk. A breath if fresh air. A different perspective to what we usually think about Paris. Hope more of your people could recognize this place and promote a clean and green city.

• WorldInParis
      12/02/2016 at 11:49 am

Oh, don’t be that surprised . . there is so much to see and do in Paris that it is impossible to know everything 😉

• Mike
    11/14/2016 at 5:55 am

So much green! Its great when cities bring in greenery to their parks. I especially love that wall of vines. I hope I can make it here during the spring so its full of life!

• Andi
    11/14/2016 at 1:20 am

A very pleasing landscape. I am always a fan of a nice horizon. It makes me calm. Indeed, Paris has a lot of nice places like this. My cousin is in Paris right now doing a leisure tour. I am jealous, I want to go there too. In the near future, I’ll visit and take nice pictures like these ones.

Andi | http://www.wizardandi.com

• Lisa
    11/13/2016 at 4:32 pm

Love the off the beaten path places. I think I could wander for days around here taking it all in. Nice areas to have a picnic and relax when your done. Thanks for sharing.

• Brianna
    11/13/2016 at 3:45 pm

What a beautiful place for a walk and some great photography! I love when you can find places of quiet and solitude right outside big cities!

• Nic
    11/13/2016 at 3:44 am

This looks like such a cool place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Next time we visit Paris we will definitely have to check it out! Thanks for sharing

• Lara Dunning
    11/13/2016 at 2:42 am

As a lover of small towns, the hustle and bustle of the city can wear me down easily. Love this insider tip as it sounds like it would be a great way to balance out the fun of the city and peacefulness.

• Jimmy and Tina
    11/12/2016 at 9:02 pm

I would have never have thought there were so many beautiful green walking trails in Paris. Your photos are lovely.

• 1 2