This article may contain compensated links. Please read disclaimer for more info.
Where is the Eiffel Tower? Where is the Eiffel Tower located in the world? The Eiffel Tower is one of France’s most iconic attractions. It is located in Northern France, and more precisely in Paris.
Paris is the French capital, a beautiful city bisected by the Seine River. In Paris, you will often hear about Paris Rive Gauche (Paris’ Left Bank) and Paris Rive Droite (Paris’ Right Bank): when facing downstream, the northern bank is to the right, and the southern bank is to the left. The Eiffel Tower is located in Paris’ Left Bank.
Today, Paris is divided into 20 administrative divisions called ‘Arrondissements’ or ‘Districts .’On this blog, and in Paris in general, you will often read or hear about Paris 1, Paris 10, Paris 8 . . . We all refer to Paris Arrondissements. More than simple divisions, the 20 arrondissements of Paris have their own character and charm. That said, the Eiffel Tower is on the Left Bank and in the 7th Arrondissement (or Paris 7).
The Eiffel Tower is located in the seventh Arrondissement of Paris, an elegant district with wide avenues, beautiful architecture, and other tourist attractions – click here for fun things to do near the Eiffel Tower. It is on the western side of Champ de Mars, a large public greenspace very popular for gatherings, national celebrations, and picnics on the grass. This is where the Universal Exhibitions of Paris were held in the years 1867, 1878, 1889, 1900, and 1937.
How to Get to the Eiffel Tower
From the Paris Airports
The Paris Airports – Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) and Paris Orly (ORY) – are located a few kilometers north and south of Paris. Even if you land at one of these airports only for a layover in Paris, it is possible the Eiffel Tower if you have three hours or more.
Below, all the ways to get to the Eiffel Tower from the Paris airports
The closest metro station is Bir-Hakeim, line 6. There’s also an RER C train station, Champ de Mars-Tour Eiffel, even closer to the Eiffel Tower location. If you are new in town, check out our quick guide to the Metro of Paris for the metro basics and our best tips.
Interesting Facts About the Eiffel Tower
Now that you know about the Eiffel Tower location, let’s go through some fun facts about the Eiffel Tower:
1. Completed on 31 March 1889, on the occasion of the third World’s Fair organized in Paris, the tower was the world’s tallest man-made structure for 41 years until the completion of the Chrysler Building in New York in 1930.
2. It was designed by the French engineer Gustave Eiffel (hence the tower’s name) and his studio.
3. The Eiffel Tower and Margaret Thatcher share the same nickname – La Dame de Fer (‘The Iron Lady’).
4. Its construction took two years, two months, and five days – 180 years fewer than Paris’s other top tourist attraction, Notre Dame.
5. It is 324 meters tall (including antennas) and weighs 10,100 tons.
6. The tower comprises 18,000 metallic parts, joined together by 2.5 million rivets. Repainting the tower, which happens every seven years, requires 60 tonnes of paint.
7. Gustave Eiffel kept a small apartment on the third floor for entertaining friends. Visitors can take a peek into this apartment.
8. It was originally intended to stand for 20 years before being dismantled. Because of its use as a wireless telegraph transmitter, the Eiffel Tower was allowed to stay.
9. Since its opening, more than 250 million people have visited the tower. Today the tower welcomes almost 7 million people a year, making it the most visited paid-for monument in the world.
10. There are 1,665 steps to climb to the top. Most visitors take the lift to the top.
11. The tower sways around 6 to 7 cms in the wind. During cold weather the tower shrinks by about 15 cms.
12. In 2008, a woman with an objects fetish married the Eiffel Tower. In honor of ‘her partner,’ she changed her name to Erika La Tour Eiffel.
13. In 1960, Charles de Gaulle proposed temporarily dismantling the tower and sending it to Montreal for Expo 67. The plan was rejected.
14. At night, the Eiffel Tower sparkles every hour. There are 20,000 lightbulbs used on the Eiffel Tower to make it sparkle every night.
15. In 1905 a local newspaper organized a stair climbing championship at the Eiffel Tower. The winner took three minutes and 12 seconds to reach the second level.
Best Eiffel Tower Views
The Eiffel Tower is the tallest structure in Paris. Thanks to its monumental size, you have great views of the Eiffel Tower from different places in Paris. The most iconic Eiffel Tower view is from the Trocadéro Gardens in Paris 16 (metro station Trocadéro), and it is lovely to see during the cherry blossom season in Paris. Here’s the list of the best Eiffel Tower views from different perspectives.
And why not an apartment or hotel room with Eiffel Tower views? Because there is nothing like an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower to say you’re in Paris…
Practical Information About the Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower is open every day, from 9.30 am to 10.30 pm. Click here to buy your tickets to the Eiffel Tower (different options and prices).
The address is Champ de Mars, 5 Avenue Anatole France, 75007 Paris